Father's Day. The day we all stop and recognize the fathers in our lives; their qualities, sacrifices, and characteristics. While I would like to acknowledge my father on this day I want to share lessons my father taught me that I have remembered every day of my life. I try to live by these precious teachings and in so doing, try to honor him every day of the year.
Learn to Work.
My father grew up on a farm in southern Alberta where he learned the value of work. When I was very young, he gave up farming and turned it in for engineering. The change in career also brought a change in environment. My dad was very determined that his children would learn to work. He always looked for projects and volunteered my brothers and I do service projects, perform music, and anything else that would help others. Most importantly he taught us to work in the home and be of help to our mother. There were times when my father focused the projects on working with my brothers but one particular time, my dad and I worked alone. We decided to tear out the grass in our front yard and lay brick that would allow our RV trailer to be parked next to the house. While this was initially thought to be a simple project it became complicated by the fact that our beautiful tree in the front yard had grown roots everywhere and they had to be removed. We spent hours working side by side in the summer heat, digging roots and laying bricks. There were frustrations and laughter and together we finished the job. My dad has a couple sayings he always uses in regards to working: "A job isn't done 'til it's done." and "A job worth doing is worth doing well."
Learn to be Honest.
This lesson was not a fun one to learn. When I was around 7 or 8 my dad caught me telling a lie. He took me to my room and talked to me. He explained that he felt he could no longer trust me because I had lied and that I needed to be honest. I remember feeling his love and sadness and was determined I would never lie again or do anything to disappoint him. There were several times when my parents both demonstrated to me their commitment to being honest in all their dealings and interactions.
Learn to Serve.
Being musical has is a great blessing but there was a time when I felt it was more of a burden. One instrument I play is the piano which means that at every fireside, church event, and some stake youth events I was asked to play the piano. I also was a part of every choir and lots of musical numbers. I remember getting ready to go to one fireside and being so frustrated that once again I would be playing piano. I complained to my mom that just for once I wanted to go to an event and be able to be a normal person and sit back and just enjoy. She looked at me and told me to think about my father. She asked if I ever considered there were times he felt the same way. She told me he never complains and neither should I. I never complained again.
I would define my dad's life as a life of service. I have seen him serve in the home in caring for the maintenance of our home and doing things for my mom. I saw him serve in callings in the church. He would go to work early in the morning and get home after a long day and take a power nap, eat dinner, and head out to the church to fulfill his callings. The only time he had to himself was for a few hours on Saturdays. I never heard him complain or seek for acknowledgement.
Learn to Love.
My father has taught me how to love in the way he has treated my mother, my siblings and myself. He also shows his love to other people in how he serves them and truly cares for them. I have seen on multiple occasions a person give him a huge hug and thank him for what he has done for them. My father sees people for who they are and loves them as they are.
Learn to Laugh.
When I think of my father I think of his smile and his laugh. My dad loves to laugh and have a good time. He has a very fun side about him. He loves to dance when the mood takes him and let's just say, it is the best and most entertaining type of dancing possible. I love the moments when he laughs so hard he has tears streaming down his face. There was one time he had to leave the dinner table to calm down. He always knows when to be serious and when to have fun. Another favorite memory was when my dad and I were trying to make something happen for someone else. We were anxious to learn the results of our assistance so we went for a drive and spied on the person. When we realized we had been successful we gave each other big high-fives and smiles and were so happy.
My father is one of my greatest friend. He is one of the few that when I am having a hard time, as soon as I hear his voice or get an e-mail from him I get emotional. I am so grateful I get to be his daughter and will always try to live in a way that he will be proud of me. Happy Father's Day Dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment